Body
Why I exercise to feel strong, powerful and confident

When my fitness journey began, I was primarily concerned with the number on the scale, what size my clothes were, and maintaining a “fit” image on social media.

Over time, these quantitative measures have become less important, and the qualitative benefits of fitness are what have kept me going. For me, regular exercise is about moving my body in ways that make me feel strong, powerful, and confident. Having exercise as a tool to help build myself up instead of breaking my body down has made me a healthier, happier person.

Les Alfred

I am the founder of The Balanced Berry, an online wellness resource for women looking to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle. I am a certified personal trainer and nutrition coach, helping my clients reach their wellness goals while loving the skin they’re in.

Noteworthy Journey

Are you living the life you love? Take our 21-day wellness journey, where you'll be given daily tasks to guide you toward a full, vibrant and healthy life.

start your journey

CarolLee 365610371

June 28, 2017 - 7:05am

Strong women are beautiful women!

Rhoda J

June 24, 2017 - 10:54am

It is refreshing to read posts by women who feel as I do about exercise. I am 51 and have fought the battle of the bulge for most of my adult life.  I have found that I want to feel strong and healthy more than I want to see a particular number on the scale. I feel if I do the things that are healthy and true for myself/my body the rest will follow.  I make more positive choices now and I feel better.  I appreciate your post Les and will continue to check in with everyone.

Jule Mae

May 23, 2017 - 10:09am

Agreed! It used to be challenging to step up to the heavy dumbbells and benches- a place in the gym highly dominated by men. But now I have no fear! Somedays I’m pretty sure I can throw up more weight than the boys :)  I love feeling strong and confident in myself and that’s why I push the limits of what my mind tells me my body it can do, because I know it’s capable of more. Embrace being a strong woman, and it will carry into other aspects of your daily life! Healthy life. Happy life.

Les Alfred

May 23, 2017 - 4:18pm

Isn’t throwing up more weight than the boys the best feeling ever? I LOVE when that happens :) Cheers to being a strong, amazing woman Jule <3

cari martin

May 8, 2017 - 2:45pm

Is there really anything better than finding out you are stronger than you were last week!?  That is my mindset now.  I too was compulsive about the scale.  Weekly weigh-ins, and then 2 days of depression eating to make myself feel better.  Now I have broken the scale addiction, and am more concerned about if I will be able to deadlift or squat that extra 20lbs.  When I do, let me tell you I celebrate boisterously, and the whole gym celebrates with me.

Les Alfred

May 23, 2017 - 4:17pm

Cari, that insight into your mindset and journey is incredible. I am so happy to hear you’ve broken up with the scale and are now focused on your amazing strength. Thank you so much for sharing!