Place
Pets and essential oils – dos and don’ts

Usage of essential oils can vary within different species.

My own dog – a tiny, grouchy Papillion – gets a lot of interaction with essential oils because of the home she lives in. We diffuse oils around her and use small amounts in water to mist over her on rainy nights or when we have new visitors in the home. Lavender works wonderfully to keep her in a calm and happy canine place. Here's a link to an easy Pet Room Spray that contains lavender. Just remember – and this is important – 1, 2 or 3 spritzes at a time is all it takes with a dog who weighs less than seven pounds.

As always, my first recommendation with pets and oils is to consult with a knowledgeable veterinarian.

Do

Don't

Charlynn Avery

An avid aroma enthusiast, I have devoted my career to understanding the connection between mind, body and spirit. I come from a diverse background in education, health and wellness and have practiced and taught in the arenas of bodywork, holistic therapies, yoga and plant medicine. I've been teaching about essential oil usage for 14 years with the last six years at Frontier Co-op educating about essential oils on behalf of the Aura Cacia brand. My passions are my family, reading, writing, gardening, natural healing, yoga, hiking, & travel. I believe the world is made a better place by small acts of kindness.

Kedra O

April 22, 2018 - 3:44pm

Thanks for this article. Very helpful.

Jean Y

April 20, 2018 - 1:14pm

Great combination!

Lynda L

April 17, 2018 - 6:58am

Thanks for this! I’m wondering the same thing as Melissa, which oils are safe oils to diffuse. There is a lot online about this, but a lot of it is conflicting information.Please help.

Aura Cacia

April 19, 2018 - 11:22am

Hi Lynda! Thanks for the question. We cannot make specific recommendation beyond diffusion of oils for the sake of safety as that is not our expertise. In general, we want to convey caution but also that many oils used in diffusions are generally safe for most household pets. Citrus oils and floral oils (in general) as groups are fairly safe for indoor pets in diffusion as well, but beyond that it depends on the animal. Our recommendation is to avoid prolonged, unchecked diffusions that saturate the airspace with essential oils. A 15 minute diffusion of 18 drops of essential oil is plenty. One diffusion exception that it is not ideal practice to have diffusions with caged birds or any caged animals in enclosed spaces. Above all else, consulting a registered veterinarian is always the safest option if there are animals you have specific questions about. We hope this helps!

Melissa F 213279171

April 16, 2018 - 3:33pm

Do you have any pet safe oil blends to share? I would love to use my diffuser again!

Aura Cacia

April 19, 2018 - 11:24am

Hi Melissa! Thank you for your questions! Please see our response above to help guide you in diffusion best practices with pets. We hope that helps clear anything up!

Livia P

April 15, 2018 - 3:20pm

I’m so excited to learn about this for my furbabies