Mind
Life on the go with essential oils

Need to create, connect and relax? Let mother nature help.

I will never forget the first time I was finally able to pay all of my NYC bills, buy groceries and take the train. To the average person, this may sound like a common practice, but as a freelancing ‘creative’ living in a major city – this was a dream come true. I had spent many years carving out a career path that would not only sustain me but also leave me feeling fulfilled. Making it a reality was a blessing.

One aspect I didn’t anticipate… along with big dreams came big schedules. This meant less and less me time.

Massages, facials and vacations are great ways to prioritize self-care, but who has the money and/or availability for those things every time a pick-me-up is needed? It was out of this need that I started researching active meditations for a faster paced lifestyle. That’s when I came across great studies on the wonderful benefits of essential oils, the mood-boosting plant allies that have been an integral part of my life ever since.

Create a scene

The first part of my research was to figure out how to stay creative during seemingly never-ending days. Bergamot oil is known for its uplifting qualities so I grabbed a few bottles and a diffuser. I was always busy during the day, so my mind began making a connection between the citrusy scent of bergamot oil in my office and my high productivity. Now, whenever I smell bergamot oil, I’m triggered – in a positive way – to write, film, record and create more. This is extremely effective on the days my inspiration may need a bit of a boost.

Connect the thoughts

Creating at the drop of a dime? Check! But in order to make sure I was genuinely aligned with all of the ideas and projects coming through, I needed to carve out a time of day when I could be quiet and check-in with myself. Was I still feeling good? Was I still being me? I needed the right essential oil to ease me into the more introspective part of the day. I remember browsing the Aura Cacia section of a health food market to look for more grounding oils. I took a few whiffs of neroli oil and was immediately sold. Frankincense Oil was already a longtime favorite because it made me think of peaceful Yoga studios. Taking out my yoga mat and combining the two oils in the diffuser? Meditative bliss on-the-go.

Take a breather

So, I had found a way to create and I had found a way to connect. Next… how about a way to rest after the long days? For most people, Eucalyptus oil is invigorating because of how fresh it feels. For me, it makes me think of my mother placing a towel over my head when I was a kid. She would encourage me to breathe over a bowl filled with hot water and drops of eucalyptus oil on the days I wasn’t feeling my best. That memory connects me to the feeling of being loved and love pouring into me, so eucalpytus helps me tap into those loving feelings today. After a long day, I take a hot shower to recreate the steam and apply a few drops of eucalyptus to the shower floor – then I take in a deep breath and let it all go. (You can also use an Aura Cacia Eucalyptus Roll-on – apply to your hands, step into the shower and breathe in.)

Whether you’re looking to be uplifted, grounded or soothed to sleep – there’s an oil for that. I'm thankful to these plant allies for always helping me stay aligned as my life continues to change.

My favorite grounding + meditative essential oil mix for my diffuser:

Contributor

Francheska Medina is a wellness advocate based out of Harlem, New York. After years of battling a painful chronic illness and then healing herself through studies of alternative medicine, nutrition and fitness, she became a spokesperson for more conscious day-to-day living.

Southern Momma

August 31, 2018 - 8:11am

We have diffusers in every room and one in the car! Vetiver is one of my must-haves. It keeps me grounded and helps me relax when I’m having anxiety issues.

Sasha B

April 18, 2018 - 11:43am

Fran, you have no idea how much of my personal growth has resulted from content you have created! You radiate a light that is so contagious. I am forever grateful for your contribution! Much love! *runs out to buy Bergamont oil lol

Jennifer A 1643595686

March 28, 2018 - 9:27am

yeessss fran! you are the best. You always inspire me to get better with my holistic well being.

March 28, 2018 - 10:00am

Love you!!!

Jasmine H 859324689

March 27, 2018 - 8:05pm

I am so incredibly proud of you. Your growth is amazing. Your energy is amazing. You are amazing.
Sincerely a FOREVER FAN

March 28, 2018 - 10:00am

I appreciate you SO much! Thank you for seeing me <3

Krystal L 908280404

March 24, 2018 - 6:52am

Fran, you’re so amazing and thoughtful! Thanks for keeping us up to par. If I had a big sister, it’d have to be you

March 28, 2018 - 10:00am

This is so so sweet. I wish <3

MissDani10

March 23, 2018 - 10:28am

I love the tea tree oil! Love you Fran! #FriendZonePod

March 28, 2018 - 10:01am

And I love you way more!

Thais.

March 22, 2018 - 10:13pm

Stopped by the store today so I could have some bergamot on deck for this all nighter I’m about to pull. Jesus be a citrus aroma lol. Thank you always, Fran, for your guidance in wellness <3. And congrats on the collaboration/ alignment. It’s exciting to see whenever you share your light in new spaces!

Porsha

March 22, 2018 - 8:53pm

This is so helpful. Being a single mother that works two jobs it is hard for me to find the energy to keep going some days or the best way to relax at the end of a long one. I find myself just needing to take minute to reflect and reconnect at times and then needing that boost of energy when I have something to read or work on. I have been wanting to try oils for a long time and have been dropping hints to all my friends and family to see if someone will pick up on it and help me start my collection. Looks like I will just start sending them the link to this website lol. Thanks again Fran. You have helped me once again

J W

March 22, 2018 - 10:28am

I love diffusing Aura Cacia Creative Juice when I am focusing on a project. I have been amazed at how easy it is to create when it is running. No second guessing myself or writer’s block - a simple fluid experience

vrAWRT

March 21, 2018 - 8:08pm

Que rico! Aceites para diferente actividades del dia. Estoy aprendiendo como mezclarlas para tener esencias especiales para calmar mis anciedades. ¡Que el universo te siga bendiciendo!

¡Gracias por compartir tus practicas y tu luz! <3

Chilanda B

March 20, 2018 - 7:03pm

I love to mix Roman chamomile and sandal wood as my bed time blend, it’s such a calming sent and help me stay asleep at night. Another one of my favourites is Neroli with sandalwood and rose Otto because it reminds me of going shopping at the Indian carpet store with my parents as a child and brings back the images of all those colourful carpets. I use that blend whenever I’m reading or creating art. Love you sooo much Fran #FranStan

Ashley B 1885824844

March 20, 2018 - 12:44pm

Thank you for being so wonderful to those who look to you. Continue to Walk in your Light ..Stand Tall & Speak Positive. Many More Blessings in Abundance.

shaquita b

March 19, 2018 - 10:57am

Thanks for sharing your light

March 19, 2018 - 11:11am

BellaVegan

March 17, 2018 - 5:44pm

This is awesome, I’m excited for you Fran

March 19, 2018 - 11:11am

Thank you, my love!!!!!!

Chelsy H

March 15, 2018 - 8:45pm

Fran, you always bring a smile to my face. Thank you for being a real inspiration to be a creative in your OWN way & always “with ease” (: I can feel your energy through my computer!

<3 Chelsy

March 19, 2018 - 11:12am

I hella appreciate you, Chelsy <3

Stephanie M 392672751

March 15, 2018 - 8:39pm

Yes Fran!!! Bergamot is my go to when I need an extra boost in my creative process.  It makes me feel whole, focused, and ready to take on the world.

March 19, 2018 - 11:12am

I rarely meet people who use it for creative work, as well!!! That’s awesome <3

Cherise I

March 15, 2018 - 6:20pm

:D Eucalyptus essential oil is my favorite! It’s invigorating and soothing at the same time!
Mahalo for sharing Fran! <3

March 19, 2018 - 11:13am

I legit get THE best sleep when I include it in my shower!

Dominique R 1264750819

March 15, 2018 - 5:32pm

Fran you’re literally a blessing. I just got into essential oils recently and it was due to your podcast. The first one i’ve really tried is eucalyptus & girl my whole chest and airways open up each time I use it. When I’m having a hard time breathing I whip that baby out and rub some on & I’m so good. I’m investing in my diffuser from amazon now & i’ll be adding the oils you mentioned from Aura Caia. Much blessings & love to you Fran <3

Jasmine W

March 15, 2018 - 12:15pm

I love using the Bergamot oil that you gave out at this past summer’s DC Wellness retreat! I can’t wait to use more to add to my essential oil collection. :)

tenika d

March 15, 2018 - 9:29am

Fran is our Wellness Bae :-) - I’ve been a loyal follower for a few years! Congratulations!!!!  Your wellness tips have really helped me out.  I will definitely try Aura Cacia Essential Oils! Love Ya Girl!

Misty P

March 15, 2018 - 8:47am

Hey Fran! I started listening to your Hot Topic Button of the Week and your Wellness segments when you first started podcasting. I took your advice and did my own research on Aura Cacia, just like you said, the oils work wonders for my mind, body, and spirit. I love love love your energy and can’t wait to meet you and build with you (we’re bff in my mind).

Gabby B

March 15, 2018 - 8:43am

I love the connections made in this! I often felt like there is a rigid separation between work and self care/ rest but I’m slowly realizing that work can also be easeful and an opportunity to still check in with self. I’m a huge fan of eucalyptus and need to try bergamot while working! Keep being awesome you, peace, love & blessings Fran xo

Terri Y

March 15, 2018 - 6:31am

I’ve been using this brand for all my body and hair oil mixes thanks to you Fran!

Daija A

March 15, 2018 - 3:46am

Awh. FRAAAN!
Go head Fran!

Lindsay C

March 14, 2018 - 11:26pm

I’m so glad to see you teaming up with Auracacia! I have been along time user of their oils.  Frankincense, Lavender, and Peppermint are my 3 go-to oils. I need to start working the Eucalyptus into my shower routine! Sounds amazing.
Good luck on this next round of your tour Fran!

Vivian Y

March 14, 2018 - 10:37pm

Fran, I love your energy, through a YT video, a podcast or a picture. You’re so genuine and truly one of a kind. I’m taking in all the lessons. Love you, Fran! And thank you

OhSoDee

March 14, 2018 - 10:06pm

Yay Fran Yay!! So excited because I know very little about oils, mixing and such. Thank you Fran

Ifeyinwa A

March 14, 2018 - 9:21pm

What I love about essential oils is that they are affordable! Thanks to your wellness segment on TFZ, last year I bought a diffuser for the first time, and it was a game changer! Lavender and bergamot is my regular nighttime combination. Be encouraged, Fran! You’re outchea changing lives. xo

Candies C

March 14, 2018 - 8:21pm

I’m so happy for you and your opportunity with Aura Cacia Fran! I, too, have been using this brand since listening to your podcast for a long time now. :) I absolutely love essential oils and use them daily. Thank you for continuously sharing ideas on health and wellness with us. Keep shining! #BlackGirlMagic

Kim E.

March 14, 2018 - 7:26pm

Fran - THANK YOU for being you!!! Your positive aura shines bright. Congrats on an amazing and uplifting partnership. I have been using their products for a few years now and I was introduce to the brand by YOU. Keep being a beacon of hope, love, and light :-)

March 19, 2018 - 11:14am

SO much love for you, Kim!!!!!!

Hildee

March 14, 2018 - 5:56pm

So happy to see Fran partnering up with Aura Cacia. I literally found out about essential oils through Fran and one of her youtube videos a few years ago. I always feel so happy to see her getting the shine she deserves. She is so uplifting and honestly the words Fran and Essential Oils are literally synonymous. I love Aura Cacia and their Peppermint Oil is my favorite. It makes me feel like I’m in a cool (temperature-wise) environment.

March 14, 2018 - 6:52pm

Isn’t it the coolest? Such a full circle moment to be working with them now. And Peppermint always holds me down when I get a headache (rub some on my temples). I never travel without a bottle.

Monet H

March 14, 2018 - 5:49pm

I can’t wait to try this essential oil blend! Thanks Fran

March 19, 2018 - 11:14am

Let us know what you think :)

Shannon H 1193292410

March 14, 2018 - 5:30pm

I’ve been a follower of you Fran from your YT days. Love your positive spirit and energy!!

March 14, 2018 - 6:54pm

Thank you so much, Shannon!!!!

Ana M 2043662163

March 14, 2018 - 5:24pm

Fran te amo! You are doing amazing

March 14, 2018 - 6:54pm

Te amo!!!!

Kayla J

March 14, 2018 - 5:06pm

So so ecstatic for you Fran!!! I have loved watching your journey over the years!

March 14, 2018 - 6:54pm

I hella appreciate your love and energy <3

Quandria S

March 14, 2018 - 4:42pm

Good idea! I never considered using bergamot consistently during creative and productive moments. I’m going to try that.

March 14, 2018 - 6:55pm

It never fails me. Let me know what you think!

Jesaka R

March 14, 2018 - 12:47pm

Love you, Fran! Thank you for your constant beautiful energy!

March 14, 2018 - 6:55pm

Thank you for seeing me. And your beautiful energy, too!

Chilanda B

March 14, 2018 - 12:13pm

Thank you for the tips on meditation and self love. Gonna cop these oils ASAP #FranStan

-Chila

March 14, 2018 - 6:56pm

Chilanda! Love you!

Kamia G

March 14, 2018 - 11:48am

I am so excited for this! Been following you since YouTube. So proud and happy for you

March 14, 2018 - 6:57pm

I’m SO proud, too! Thank you for always supporting me, Kamia <3

Amy Neguse

March 14, 2018 - 10:39am

Fran, your love for sharing holistic health and wellness info has literally changed my life and has helped me manage my anxiety. From listening to The Friend Zone, following your movement on IG and buying my first set of Aura Cacia’s essential oil kit, you’ve been the guiding force. Your light and positivity is contagious! Much love and appreciation - Amita

March 14, 2018 - 6:57pm

It’s been such an incredible journey. Thank you for learning with me, trusting me and growing with me <3

Crystal B 1451179092