Full Moon Bath Ritual – The Best Kind of Self Soothing

Women have a connection with the moon whether they are conscious of it or not.

By nature, women are lunar beings. We tend to ovulate during the full moon and menstruate around the new moon. If you’re a sensitive soul like me, taking time every month to reset around the full moon can be very healing and very necessary.

Most of us are hard on ourselves, work too much, say ‘yes’ too often and tend to live in our masculine energy. While I respect and practice the art of taking massive action (masculine energy) to accomplish my goals, I believe it is vital that we balance the masculine and feminine energies within us. When the scales are unbalanced we tend to feel exhausted and totally disconnected from our physical bodies.

When we take the time to create a full moon ritual we not only cleanse our physical bodies, we cleanse our energetic bodies, too. Full moon energy supports releasing old layers, beliefs or relationships that aren’t serving you well. If you feel called to dive deeper into self-care, you should get curious about the emotions that tend to come up around the full moon. This simple bath ritual is sure to do the trick.

1. Clear and protect - Smudge your bathroom space with palo santo or sage. Push the smoke into every corner and make sure that your bathtub is very clean. You may need to take a little time to wipe down your tub thoroughly.

2. Set the mood -  I personally love to fill my bathroom with a ton of candles and turn on ambient music or a chant. A dear friend introduced me to a Vedic purification chant – Shri Rudram Chamakam – it’s a good one to purify any space. Please play music that you like and is soothing to your soul.

3. Set your intention - While the bath is filling with hot water, take a moment to set your intention. Ask yourself, “What feels heavy or energetically dense in my life?” Maybe you’ve been feeling anxious or sad. Full moons tend to energize some people while bringing out emotions in others. It’s all ok. Get quiet and go within. Simply ask yourself, “What is ready to be released in this moment?” Use this time to release any relationships, thoughts or obligations that feel heavy. The water will help wash it away.

4. DIY essential oil soak - Add 24 drops of your favorite essential oil to ¼ cup of Epsom salts or Himalayan salt to create a soak that brings purpose and aromatherapy to the experience. Dissolve the soak into the bath. I like to use frankincense, lavender, rose, geranium and balsam fir.

5. Crystalize - Try adding a moonstone to connect deeply to your feminine power and bring out your inner goddess. Choose selenite for a deeper cleaning or rose quartz for self-love. Remember: Not all crystals are safe to submerge fully in water so do your research. Many soft crystals are not recommended to be in the bath. You can also place the crystals around the edge of the tub to create an inviting self-care altar.

6. Savor the moment - As you step into the bath, commit to savoring the moment. You have dedicated this time and space just for you and for you alone, even if it’s only 15 minutes. You can expand that time with conscious intention and make it feel like hours!

Schedule a full moon bath ritual into your calendar now so that you have time dedicated to your healing every month. Rituals don’t need to take a long time. They don’t need to be dramatic or loud but they do need to happen for your well-being, so schedule it and make it happen. Remember – the moon is going to keep waxing and waning with or without you.

Use the comments below to share how you savor every moment and use essential oils in a full moon ritual.

Lili Pettit

Hello there. My name is Lili Pettit and I am the founder of Clutter Healing®, Inc. a professional organizing business dedicated to helping clients establish supportive environments both internally and externally. I have built my life around clearing out the negative and unnecessary, finding room for only what serves in positive and productive ways — both in the home and in the body. My positive attitude, clear logic, and focused energy gently guides individuals through a cleansing process to establish a sense of calm, clarity and consciousness in things we call home.

Mia J

March 14, 2018 - 11:26am

Hi Love the Idea is it 24 drops for each oil? or a combination?

Elisabeth M

March 11, 2018 - 4:34pm

Thank you for reminding me of how I used to enjoy this monthly ritual. They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit??  Well, just in time for the next full moon!!

Lili Pettit

March 12, 2018 - 1:46pm

Elisabeth, I’m so excited for you add this beautiful ritual back into your precious life!

Karen F 1811513835

February 11, 2018 - 10:31am

I am also new to this. And am excited to learn new ways that help me grow in mind, heart and soul. Thank you

Lili Pettit

February 11, 2018 - 12:23pm

Karen! I am so glad you are here. It’s never too late to start a self-care ritual. Let me know how you like this one?

Julianne B 484242746

February 10, 2018 - 10:39pm

Too many years ago I so loved to just sit and soak in a warm inviting candle lite space bubbling water and soft soothing music playing, sometimes with a glass of wine. Not sure why when or where it went…I’d say this much, I’m happy to have stumbled upon your site tonight and look forward to finding my souls peace again.Thank you

Lili Pettit

February 11, 2018 - 12:27pm

It’s challenging to get back on track once we fall out of a habit but anything is possible right? Our bodies tell us exactly what we need, we just have to be willing to listen, to surrender, to head the call. I can see this happening again for you so clearly. You deserve this weekly ritual. I can’t wait to hear about your experience.

Livia P

February 5, 2018 - 7:09am

I’m new in all this. I have to start doing this. And relax

Lili Pettit

February 5, 2018 - 9:16am

Hello Livia. I’d like to offer you a little loving feedback. Instead of saying you HAVE to start doing something which can feel stressful or a bit punishing, try to think of self care as something that you GET to do. You GET to take 15 minutes just for yourself. You GET to take a deep breath when you feel overwhelmed or angry. You GET to inhale essential oils and feel grateful to have a bathtub. It’s simply a shift in perspective. When we learn that life isn’t just a series of things we HAVE to do we have a lot more gratitude for everything that we GET to do including the little things like laundry. xo

Susan S 2124782053

January 30, 2018 - 1:21pm

I use to do this. It was wonderful. This year is about nurturing me. Can’t wait to get into this again!

Lili Pettit

January 31, 2018 - 12:54pm

Self-care is how we are able to show up in the world as the best version of ourselves. I’d love to see you doing this monthly. Let me know how it goes? xx

Melissa 13236

January 26, 2018 - 8:38am

I first enjoyed this type of ritual when staying over in a house that had a stained glass window that let the moonlight in total alignment, the bathtub right below could reflect the colorful moon in the water. I used essence of Pine and Eucalyptus diluted in Epsom salts. It was truly a treat to the soul and senses…

Lili Pettit

January 27, 2018 - 12:56pm

Hello Melissa! I can see the stained glass reflections on the water so clearly. It sounds divine! I’m sp happy you had this experience and have shared it with me! Carry on!