Mind
Daily bliss: turn your morning routine into rituals

How you do one thing is how you do everything.

…that’s what my meditation teacher, David Elliott, says, and that got me thinking – what if I changed my outlook on my daily grind of morning rituals? What if my morning chores felt more like something I was privileged to do instead of something I had to do?

The word “ritual” can sound like a big deal. Upon hearing it, maybe you envision a circle of beautiful women in long, flowy dresses and flower crowns. Perhaps they gather in an expansive, lush field under the full moon to chant sweet mantras. Or maybe you think of transformational workshops, breathwork trainings, sweat lodges and yoga retreats. Such events have certainly shaped my life and I’m a big proponent of them, but let’s be honest – making the time for these kinds of events is easier said than done.

Imagine, if you will, feeling how you feel after those kinds of fabulous experiences… but feeling that way all the time in your normal life. This is possible!

Below, are my suggestions for getting started. Let’s examine how you can supercharge three very common morning routines into rituals.

Making the bed

This very small ritual doesn’t take a lot of time, but it can have a huge impact on the rest of your day. When you make your bed upon rising, you’ve already accomplished something. Those small actions are the building blocks of healthy habits. When you have habits that make you feel good, your self-confidence soars. When your self-esteem is high, you have more energy and make choices that support that good mojo. It really does make a world of difference when you make your bed in the morning. If you don’t believe me, check out this lovely little book, Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life... And Maybe The World, by Admiral William McRaven.

After making my bed, I love to kick on my essential oil diffuser with an enlivening citrus mix right away. This way my room is perfumed with pure energy when I return to it after my shower.

Here’s my current essential oil diffuser mix of choice. 5 drops each of:

Bergamot - mood improving, easing, uplifting, cheering, inspiring, cooling

Tangerine - cleansing, clarifying, cheering, uplifting

Lemon - fortifying, purifying, cleansing, uplifting, refreshing

Sweet orange - cheering, calming, purifying, cleansing, easing, uplifting

If you have any animals, make sure to give them a little attention in the morning. Frankie, my 10-year-old Japanese Chin, gets some morning high-fives and cuddles to keep our home vibe high all day. Animals exchange energy with us and our space so it’s equally important to keep them involved in your morning rituals. Simply petting them and taking a few deep breaths can make a huge shift in how your energy flows throughout the day.

Getting crafty with coffee

So, I happen to be one of those people who doesn’t do the world until I’ve had my coffee. I know... it’s a terrible habit and one that I hope to be free of one day, but it’s literally my last vice. I take this morning ritual very seriously.

I keep plastics and electronics to a minimum in my home, so my coffee routine begins with lighting a kettle. Then I place an unbleached filter inside my glass Chemex coffee maker. Next, I grind my organic coffee beans gently, pour them onto the filter and patiently wait for the water to boil. As I pour the boiling water over the grinds, intentions for the day start to run through my mind.

Making coffee in a Chemex takes a lot of patience. I’ve chosen this method over a traditional electric coffee maker for several reasons, but over the years I’ve realized that waiting for the coffee to drip-drip drip through the filter is actually productive. That’s the moment when my morning meditation begins. The gap between the spark on the stove and the final product has never been easy for me to sit in. Yet, every morning I specifically put myself into a place of discomfort. Why? On the other side of waiting patiently there is usually a gift.

“Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.”
–Samuel Johnson

If the weather is nice outside, maybe opt for taking your coffee into your yard or patio. Enjoy the earth if you have it near you. Too often we grab our morning coffee or tea and run out the door without taking a moment to enjoy the beauty of all that we have and all that we are.

I know it’s just coffee... but... is it? It can be a morning ceremony whereby you contemplate the day ahead, set a few goals that you would like to accomplish, give thanks for all that you have and remember how much support is around you as you connect with the trees, the sun and the sky.

Taking a shower

Want to hear my truth? Most days I take a super-fast shower and I never have enough time to wash my hair. Thank goodness not washing your hair every day is actually healthy! However, no matter how pressed I may be for time, I always take a moment to pop a few essentials oils in the shower with me. Scents are so powerful – they can literally make you feel like you are in another world. I keep a small bowl, about the size of a ramekin, in my shower to blend a few oils. The steam from the shower helps them fill the air. I love a good eucalyptus/grapefruit combo in the morning. Lavender/clove is my evening jam.

I keep a couple of candles in my bathroom at all times. That’s where I also enjoy the presence of fresh flowers and a few plant babies. You’ll often find me listening to my latest Spotify playlist because music makes me really happy.

Even if this entire experience is only 5 minutes, wouldn’t you rather give it a try than wonder what could have been? I challenge you to create this vibe in your shower tomorrow morning.

“If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.”
–Fred DeVito

Life as a ceremony

So much of my life has been fast. Fast fashion. Driving fast because I was running late – again. I’ve spent much of my life rushing through it and missing out on the good stuff – birds singing, running water, a safe bed, catching the perfect light, an unexpected song, laughing with friends. These little moments. These little things are truly what the ritual of life are all about.

It’s time to give yourself permission to pause. Let your space support you in moving slower. Life isn’t just about accomplishments so much as it is about savoring the moments. You spend a lot of time in your home so enjoy the journey. Make a ritual out of everything that you do and let the joy permeate your bones.

“Slow down baby, you’re moving too fast.
You’ve got your hands in the air with your feet on the gas.
You’re about to wreck your future running from the past.
Slow down before you go down, baby”
-India Arie

Lili Pettit

Hello there. My name is Lili Pettit and I am the founder of Clutter Healing®, Inc. a professional organizing business dedicated to helping clients establish supportive environments both internally and externally. I have built my life around clearing out the negative and unnecessary, finding room for only what serves in positive and productive ways — both in the home and in the body. My positive attitude, clear logic, and focused energy gently guides individuals through a cleansing process to establish a sense of calm, clarity and consciousness in things we call home.

Suzanne D 1623461859

July 2, 2018 - 2:10pm

I am new to this site and want to learn more of how to incorporate essential oils into my life more. I have a silly question, I have a stall shower and and looking for recommendations on where to set the container of water and essential oils during the shower. I love this idea and would love to use it. Also, thinking of using some sort of spray on the bed after it is made? Any suggestions. I like how fabreze sprays make the room smell nice, but do not like the idea of spraying chemical into my environment. Also would like some tips on diffusers ie: types, mixtures. Thank you for all your wonderful information, gonna include this site in my morning routines as well!

July 2, 2018 - 6:29pm

Hello Suzanne! You have come to the right place if you are looking to incorporate essential oils into your life. This site has SO many recipes for room sprays, linen sprays and diffuser blends. I’d check out the recipe section here:

For the stall shower situation…maybe try one of the lava rock bracelets that hold essential oils? There are necklace versions as well. I was also thinking that placing a few of the oils on a small towel and hanging that behind your shower head might work? I’d love to see how creative you get with it!!!

In kindess, Lili

Suzanne L

June 26, 2018 - 9:00am

As a stay at home grandmother, my morning ritual does not begin until after 9 am when my granddaughter takes her nap. I start my morning ritual with a cup of warm lemon water while she plays. Then I eat breakfast with her, but my real morning starts at nap time! Once she is asleep, I either do 15 minutes on the treadmill, a short Yoga practice, or a new core exercise program that I just started. After my shower is when I relax with my coffee; sometimes on the back porch with the baby monitor, and sometimes at the dining table listening to the rhythm of my Basset Hound breathing beside me. I have not included aromatherapy in my routine, however, I have a suitcase full of Aura Cacia oils from several years ago when I started but did not complete an Aromatherapy Certification. Lili, you’ve inspired me with this note! Aromatherapy is what has been missing from my ritual! I immediately made my bed, placed a small ceramic dish in my shower, and will now go through my oils for a nice aroma for my shower! Thanks! Namaste~

June 26, 2018 - 2:19pm

Suzanne - Your routine sounds DIVINE! I can’t wait to hear how adding in the essential oils will add more feminine fuel to an already steady fire. Sounds like you are already very connected to the oils??  All my best, Lili

Rose N 617411298

June 15, 2018 - 10:33am

Just join this week and I absolutely love this site the recipes just reading makes me feel wonderful fresh and renewed thank you for the all the recipes love and freshness you bring to this community

June 15, 2018 - 5:56pm

Hi Rose! Thank you for reading and I’m thrilled to hear that you are loving the essential oil community. Keep sharing what you experience. All my best!

Debbie T 152672449

June 14, 2018 - 6:00am

Just joined this morning. I wake up early, yes…love my coffee. Just now, lights are off, lit a few candles…very relaxing. Cannot wait to get into
these oils.  Excited to experience with them.
Very good advice ...

June 15, 2018 - 5:55pm

Hi Debbie! I’m looking forward to hearing all about your oil experience! They have been such a life-saver and soul-soother for me!

Faye D

June 6, 2018 - 4:08pm

I am new to the oils. Where is the best place to get them?

June 15, 2018 - 5:54pm

Aura Cacia has amazing oils!!  Just look on their site!

Julie L 1412565076

June 1, 2018 - 7:31pm

Lilli is there anything I should know when just starting with the essential oils? Ive pretty new to them I know I love lavender and peppermint…. But I have never tried any of the other smells youve mentioned. Also, when using them in the shower can I use just a small plactic bowl type thing?

Your article was very facinating and I am hoping some of these ideas will help me want to wake up and have some me time. Mornings are just so hard, but I’m going to try some of these ideas.

June 2, 2018 - 7:30am

Julie, my advice would be to just have the with the oils! Use what you feel drawn to and yes a plastic bowl is just fine!

Joy M

May 29, 2018 - 12:21am

I just joined and after reading this first article glad I did. I’m gonna take your advice in the morning. Looking forward to a fresh and great start of my day. Thank you

June 2, 2018 - 7:28am

Hello Joy! Thank you for reading. Savor each new beginning! It’s so worth it!

Sheila S 476282505

May 22, 2018 - 3:29pm

This would make my morning beautiful and relaxing. Thank you for the idea to slow down and enjoy each little thing. The oil mixture sounds wonderful!

June 2, 2018 - 7:29am

Sheila, you can make your morning what ever your heart desires. Slowing down can be such a treat!

Tara T 1040543113

May 13, 2018 - 8:03am

This is exactly what I needed, I cant wait to try this tomorrow

June 2, 2018 - 7:29am

Tara, let me know how it goes?

Aprile B

May 7, 2018 - 6:38pm

I am so excited to try this blend. Thanks so much for sharing!

May 8, 2018 - 11:06am

Yay! Let me know what you think??

Elizabeth W

April 25, 2018 - 11:52am

Thank you Lili for the wonderful insights you have shared here. It is truly the smallest of details that we will remember and will give us pause when we take the time to make the time.
PS/ I am borrowing my mom’s chimex as soon as possible.
I am already using essential oils, well…let me restate that.
I am collecting essential oils. It is now time for me to get those precious babies out!!!

April 26, 2018 - 10:13am

Get to using those oils my friend! It will totally uplevel the vibe of your home and your day! Thank you for reading and I look forward to learning more about your slower pace.

Kimberly T 1862868864

April 12, 2018 - 9:31am

I’m new to this site… What you wrote on here is exactly what I wanted and needed. Thank you so much Lili for what you wrote it has   given me ideas on what to try in the morning rush to appreciate the true beauty of each morning.

April 12, 2018 - 9:43am

Kimberly, I know the morning rush far too well! I hope you continue to take a few moments each day to savor just being alive! It’s such a beautiful practice. Enjoy!

Maria F 1116124857

April 10, 2018 - 6:33am

This is a great article.  If anything ever made me feel like getting up in the morning this is it.  Thank you so much

April 10, 2018 - 12:34pm

Yay! This makes my heart sing! What task are you finding most joyful?

Katie E

April 10, 2018 - 5:41am

This article is a true game changer. My whole thought process of my “ morning chores” as evolved to my pleasure.
I love the idea of the oils in the shower.
I signed up for this motivational daily encouraging notes a few months ago and truly love them .
Thank you for sharing your positive insights on turning daily Chaos into pleasures.

April 10, 2018 - 12:37pm

Katie, it’s amazing what we can see when we are willing to change our mindset, right? What is your new favorite morning chore?

lifeofthepardee

April 8, 2018 - 5:30pm

I am not a patient person at all (especially for coffee lol) but when I read your statement “On the other side of waiting patiently there is usually a gift” it made me want to try to be better at it!

April 10, 2018 - 12:36pm

Carol, I’m so glad you are willing to receive the gifts available. Let me know how it goes?

Kenjii H

April 3, 2018 - 2:43pm

This was the first acticle i read on this site. What an amazing beginning! Thank you for your insight.

April 5, 2018 - 3:23pm

You are so welcome! I hope that you continue to LOVE everything you read on Noteworthy!